Monday, October 25, 2010

Market Fun

It's a beautiful 70-ish degrees outside today, and I am going to venture out to the market to do some food shopping. I am currently staying with another member of the CRM team here in Spain, Lily, and she's been kindly feeding me for the past 24 hours. We actually went to a large mercado (market) in Malaga on Saturday, and had fun exploring the stalls that sold fresh fruit and veggies, and whole aisles of fresh fish and seafood, then aisles of meats and cheeses. It was crowded and loud and overwhelming, but that's what makes it fun! Thanks to my lack of knowledge of the metric system, I almost bought over 2 pounds of bananas, but luckily Lily stopped me and pointed out how many bananas that would be! So I told the guy to stop at less than 1 kilo, instead of getting 2 kilos. Then he asked me questions about where I was from, what I did for a living, was I married!? All in Spanish, which made it the longest exchange I've had with a local in Spanish thus far...it was a little stressful! I'm hoping the feeling of slight panic when someone speaks to me in Spanish will subside eventually, as I get more comfortable with the language!
Anyway, after we were finished at the market, it was lunchtime so we walked a little further into the main pedestrian area to get some bocadillos for lunch. A bocadillo is basically a sandwich, and I like getting some of the Spanish jamon (ham) and cheese on the yummy crusty bread they have everywhere.  I'll have to start taking some more food pictures, because I'm one of those people who likes to remember everything I eat when I travel...I've had some really yummy tapas as well!
I don't know if I'll actually start teaching this week, but I will spending some time with the girls setting up our classroom space, and getting to know them a bit better. Jet lag hits hard though, so it may be a few days until everyone feels back to normal.
Here is a picture of the main entrance to the market. I know the building has some history to it, from the time the Moors were in Spain...much of the architecture and tile patterns have a heavy Moroccan influence here in southern Spain. ( I know this is rather vague, and as I educate myself more on the history of the region, I will become better at providing details!)

2 comments:

  1. ...and already the Spanish guys are lining up. I'm telling you, you're coming home with a member of the Spanish National Soccer Team. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate - Last Sunday the pastor asked for prayer requests, and your mom mentioned you arriving safely in Spain. Then Sue Jenkins has a praise that her friend Ann just got married. So...during the prayer he says, "Thank you God for Kate arriving in Spain, Ann's new husband"...it sounded like, "Kate arriving in Spain AND her new husband". Amy Bocklet and I were almost rolling on the floor...prophetic??
    Give the Galloways a hug for me!! Dena

    ReplyDelete